How was gymnastics introduced?
If you are wondering why was gymnastics invented and by whom, then you are going to get the answers to your questions. Gymnastics was originated in the early Greek civilization as a way to facilitate bodily development with the help of different physical activities involving swimming, wrestling, jumping, weight lifting, etc. The word ‘gymnastics’ was derived from a Greek word which means ‘to exercise naked, and back in ancient Greece, people used to perform gymnastics while being naked. The modern gymnastics competitions are judged and scored on the basis of the number of moves performed by each individual. Most of the times, there are four judges who score on individual and team basis.
Different types of gymnastics
There are seven different types of gymnastics and we are going to discuss each one of them.
Women’s artistic gymnastics: It is also known as women’s gymnastics and it involves the athletes competing against each other in physical activities such as vault, uneven bars, floor exercise and balance beam. In the Olympics competition there are five athletes in each team and each individual takes part in one event. In the end, the score is added up. The team with the most score wins.
Men’s artistic gymnastics: It is the oldest form of gymnastics in which men compete against each other six events such as floor exercise, vault, parallel bars, still rings, pommel horse and horizontal bar.
Rhythmic gymnastics: Gymnasts perform different moves such as jumps, tosses and leaps with various apparatus. Only females are allowed to participate in rhythmic gymnastics in the Olympics. Both individual and team competitions are held in the Olympics.
Trampoline: Gymnasts perform different twists and high flying flips when they are jumping on the trampoline. It became a part of the Olympics in 2000.
Tumbling: It is performed on a spring runway which is bouncier than the floor exercise mat. Athletes perform differed complicated twists and flips. It is not yet a part of the Olympics.
Acrobatic gymnastics: Different teams of two to four gymnasts take part in acrobatic gymnastics by performing various kinds of handstands while holding and balancing each other. It is performed on the same floor exercise mat.
Group gymnastics: A group of gymnasts ranging from 6 to 16 take part in group gymnastics and compete against each other.
When is the right time to join gymnastics?
It is better to join gymnastics as early as you can. Mostly, gyms offer gymnastics classes for kids and toddlers who are at least two year olds so that they don’t get hurt. It is always ideal for getting into sports at a young age as it will help you in developing muscle strength. It is better to begin gymnastics earlier, but you can join it whenever you get the opportunity. The optimal age to start gymnastics is before the age of eight as, during that time, your body is the most flexible. If you start gymnastics later than the age of twelve, then you won’t have enough time to develop any skills against people who have been doing gymnastics since they were of little age.
What do people do in gymnastics?
Now we shall discuss what gymnastics is all about and what physical activities are involved in it. If you are a fresher at gymnastics, then it is advised that don’t try anything without the supervision of a qualified coach. Here are some of the basic skills that will be taught to you in gymnastics.
- Front split: Doing front slips is easy for some people, whereas it is extremely difficult for others. There are some people who will never be able to do front splits regardless of how much they try because of their bone structure. To master a front slip, you will have to warm up your muscles before stretching. Try practising it every day to remain consistent. You can use different props to support you. Stop as soon as you feel any pain. Make sure to relax and focus on your breath.
- Center split: You can always ask a fellow to help you with centre splits. Centre splits are essential for side leaps, stalders and straddle jumps.
- Handstand: For any gymnast, it is crucial to be a master at a handstand. It will help you in building muscle strength. You can improve your muscle strength by holding your handstand for more time. You can learn to do a handstand by starting it with the support of a wall.
- Bridge: Bridge will help in improving your shoulder flexibility, which is very important for any gymnast. You will have to remain consistent to master at this pose.
- Back walkover: Once you learn how to do a bridge doing back walkover will become easy for you.